Monday 30 April 2012

Caught me by surprise ...

After work we went home fast to get a grab to eat. At 18.00pm we were expected at the divingshop for our first lesson in the water.
First there was a little test about the things we were thaught yesterday. Everybody had to get 80% to succeed, which we all did.
Then off we went to the pool. The floor around it was all broken up for restoration so it was kind of a mess to walk around. Anyway, after a few minutes we were al geared-up and ready to jump in ... so far so good.
Then we had to submerge and there I suddenly got a flashback to when I was about 8 or 9 : my breath stopped and I panicked.
Strange ... as I didn't expect that at all. I remember I almost drowned when some-one jumped of a board and landed on my back. I couldn't get to the surface as I was momentarily paralised and I didn't have any air in me anymore. Luckily a man dragged me out of the pool in time. It's been so long ago, but it struck me like it happened yesterday.
I tried submurgeing again but I just couldn't calm down. It took me about 8 to 10 times before I finally got it and started to relax ... up to the emergency-exercises that is ... because #BAM !# and there I was being 8 years old again.
We were in the water for about 3 hours and I must say : I was getting used to breathing under water only in the last hour. Maybe the swimming part relaxed me and put my mind to other things. Anything better then just sitting on the bottom waiting for your turn to remove the goggles and putting them on again, right ?
Again tomorrow, I'm not giving up that easy. I wanna see fish in their habitat, and nothing's gonna stop me. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment